Naim ND5 XS
The ND5 XS network player is a network-connected separates source. It offers UPnP streaming up to 24bit/192kHz resolution over the home network, either from network-attached storage or a hard disk player / server, such as Naim’s HDX or UnitiServe models. It has an in-built internet radio tuner and features Naim’s Choice: a pre-loaded list of Naim’s favourite internet radio stations, including an exclusive 320kbps stream from Radio Paradise. It features a front-panel USB socket for digitally-connected iPod, MP3 players and memory sticks and three S/PDIF inputs for connection to external digital sources, such as a CD player. An optional FM/DAB tuner module is also available.
The ND5 XS follows on from the introduction last year of the NDX and has been engineered to integrate into the Naim range at the same performance level as Naim’s other XS Series components. The ND5 XS is performance-upgradeable, currently with the addition of an external XPS or 555 PS power supply and / or Naim DAC.
The NDX will also be updated to stream 24bit/192kHZ audio.
ND5 XS genuine audiophile-quality, entry level Naim streaming network player
The ND5 XS is Naims entry level network audio player with the potential to transform music in the home. It can play UPnP audio streams, internet radio, iPod or MP3 player and USB play back and three S PDIF inputs.
XS Series source
ND5 XS is a derivative of the NDX network player and is pitched at the XS Series performance level – CD-quality streaming (and beyond – up to 24bit 192kHz) with the performance promised by the Naim badge. The ND5 XS shares much of its digital and streaming board with the NDX; it makes use of the same DSP technology and has an identical digital signal path.
Central to ND5 XS is digital audio streaming. ND5 XS will stream all available music stored on UPnPTM–enabled devices connected to the home network, such as PCs, laptops, NAS drives and hard disk servers. Naim would always advocate well ripped music as a starting point for customers wanting to stream music. A Naim hard disk player / server offers this.
24/192 Hi-Res Audio
Hi-res audio is also big part of the ND5 XS offering. Users can enjoy 24 bit 192kHz audio files played either from memory stick connected via the front-panel USB socket or streamed from UPnPTM-enabled devices over the home network.
Internet radio and optional FM/DAB
A network connection also opens up the world of Internet radio. Internet radio is supplied by vTuner full 5* service. Users can also access the Naim webpage http://myradio.naimaudio.com to manage their ND5 XS’s internet radio listings and add stations. Naim’s Choice is also available. A listing of Naim’s favourite internet radio stations, including an exclusive 320kbps stream from California’s Radio Paradise. An optional DAB FM module is available to customers wishing to convert the ND5 XS to a multi-format tuner – the module will seamlessly integrate FM and DAB radio with internet.
USB port for memory stick & iPod/MP3 player
A front-panel USB port caters for memory sticks and iPod &MP3 players. ND5 XS will take over the control, charging and display of stored audio. ND5 XS is also Apple authenticated enabling playback of iPad, iPhone, iPod stored digital media, bypassing the iPad, iPhone, iPod internal DAC for optimised performance.
Three 24 bit 192kHz –capable S PDIF (BNC, RCA and optical) inputs offer connection to external digital sources, such as CD players or laptops.
Gapless playback and extensive file formats
Gapless playback is available from ND5 XS and it will stream or play WAV, FLAC, ALAC, AIFF, AAC, Windows Media-formatted content, Ogg Vorbis and MP3 files from any suitable UPnP™ device or USB-connected storage device.
Wired or wireless network connection
ND5 XS can be connected to the network either wired via an Ethernet connection or wirelessly. Naim recommends Ethernet for optimum performance, however a wireless connection has been provided for convenience.
Controlling the ND5 XS
ND5 XS can be controlled in three ways. It has a front-panel display and key mat interface and a remote control handset is also supplied. Naim’s n-Stream FOC app can be downloaded from the iTunes App Store and offers full control of ND5 XS (alongside Naim’s other streaming capable players, NDX, SuperUniti, NaimUniti and UnitiQute). The app also offers System Automation, enabling input and volume control of most Naim CD players, preamplifiers and Naim’s digital to analogue converter within an existing Hi-Fi system.
The ND5 XS can be upgradable by the addition of an external XPS or 555PS power supply and or an external digital to analogue convertor such as Naims DAC. A matching slimline power supply will be available next year. Please be aware that the ND5 XS can only be paired with XPS units in the classic series casing. Older olive series units are not compatible with the ND5 XS.
What can I use the ND5 XS with
The ND5 XS would be added to an existing hi-fi system, most likely an XS series or non-Naim brand separates system , as a digital source. ND5 XS would connect straight into a preamplifier or integrated amplifier. You could still retain your CD player, which if it has a S/PDIF output can be connected to NDX’s on board DAC removing the need to invest in a separate DAC. System automation via the n-Stream control app will enable control of the CD player. A hard disc server or player such as HDX or UnitiServe within their system which can also connect to ND5 XS. Either take a direct digital output via S/PDIF or connect via a network wired or wireless and stream from it. The ND5 XS is ideally paired with Naim’s XS series pre-power combination of NAC 152 XS and NAP 155 XS, although combinations further up the Naim range would also suit ND5 XS.
- UPnPTM-enabled to stream audio files from any hard disk server, such as HDX or UnitiServe, network attached storage (NAS) or laptop orcomputer via the home network
- vTuner 5* full service Internet radio
- Optional FM DAB* module
- Front-panel USB port for replay of MP3 player,iPod and USB-stored audio
- Apple authenticated enabling digital output from iPod for ultimate quality iPod control, charging and front-panel content display when connected to front-panel USB port via standard iPod digital connector
- Three 24bit, 192kHz-capable S PDIF inputs for external digital sources
- Multiple intuitive control interfaces: front panel, remote control handset and n-Stream iPhone, iPad control app
- Internal architecture for hi-res audio playback up to 24bit 192kHz over the network
- Ethernet network connectivity for reliability. Wireless also available for convenience.
- Streams and plays WAV, FLAC, ALAC, AIFF, AAC, Windows Media-formatted content, Ogg Vorbis and MP3 files from any suitable UPnP™ device or USB-connected storage device
- Gapless playback available on all lossless file formats and some lossy formats (exc Ogg Vorbis and Windows Media-formatted content)
- Digital output on 75Ω BNC connector
- Switchable DIN RCA Analogue outputs
- Wired remote in
- Wired remote out for preamplifier volume control and input switching, also for CD player and DAC control
- Performance upgradeable with addition of external XPS or 555 PS power supply or external DAC digital to analogue converter
- USB mini-b connector for software upgrades
- SHARC DSP with Naim proprietary 16 times digital filtering and buffering
- Naim proprietary 16 times oversampling and digital filtering
- Linear power supply with 200VA toroidal transformer with four separate windings for digital, DPS, audio clock and analogue sections
- Seven pole analogue output filtering
- Optical isolation of data control lines
- Ultra low noise triple-regulated power supplies
- Ground selector switch for optimum performance
- High quality Burr Brown PCM1791A DAC
- Naim reference non-magnetic, low-resonance low microphony case
- OLED display for high contrast and easy visibility
- British design and build
S/PDIF : 1x BNC, 1x RCA, 1x optical, sample rates up to 192kHz/24bit
USB type A : Front panel socket for iPod, iPhone, iPad and memory stick
UPnP : Wired Ethernet (RJ45) or Wi-Fi
Antenna inputs : DAB/FM, Wi-Fi (802.11 g or n at 2.4GHz)
Tuninng range : DAB (Band lll and L Band), FM 87.5-108MHz (FM/DAB version only)
Analogue outputs:DIN and RCA, 2.1V rms at 1kHz at full level (Fixed)
Output impendence : 32 maxximum
Minimum load impedance : 10k
Frequency response : 10kHz – 220kHz, +0.1/-0.5dB
THD+N : <0.02%, 10Hz to 20kHz at full level
Phase response : Linear phase, absolute phase correct
Digital outputs (type):S/PDIF, 775Ω BNC
Other : DAC, Hi-Line, Power-Line,long-range WAV antena
Infra red : Front panel window RC5
Remote input : 3.5mm jack on rear (RC5)
Remote output : 3.5mm jack on rear (RC5) x2
Rear USB : For updates only (USB mini-B)
Audio formats suported : WAV, AIFF and FLACC (up to 24bit/192kHz)
ALAC (up to 24bit/96kHz)
Ogg Vorbis (up to 320bit/s)
Windowws Media-formatted content-9 (up to 320kbit/s)
Playlists (M3U, PLS)
MP3, M4a (up to 3200kbit/s)
iRadio service provider : vTuner 5* full service
Internet radio (Windows Media-formatted content, MP3 streams, MMS, Ogg Vorbis)
User Control Interfaces
Front panel : Yes
Handheld : Remote handset included and optional n-Stream app for iPod, iPhone and iPad devices, downloadable from App Store
AMX & Crestron: Installer-customisable reference apps available
Supply voltage : 100V or 115V or 230V; 50 to 60Hz
Power supply options: XPS, 555 PS
Power consumption (maximum): 60VA
Product Certifications & Licenses
Certifications : Apple (made for iPhone), vTuner Premium
Licenses : MP3, AAC, DAB, Windows Media
Dimensions (mm) : 70 x 432 x 301mm (H x W x D)
Weight : 6.5Kg